Consider this an invitation to leave comments regarding what templates you’d like to see created for the new edition of the classic/A5 D*I*Y Planner. (That can also include ideas for the Education and Creativity packs, since the work is proceeding more or less simultaneously.)
Among the tentative improvements for version 3.0 that I’m already working on:
- More consistency in template designs, including a slightly different way of handling dividers and columns — the majority of templates have undergone some changes, mostly minor and cosmetic
- Undated Monthly templates now have an option for weeks starting on Monday
- Dated monthly calendar pages (yes, with actual numbers and stuff)
- Contact pages (heck, why not?)
- Yearly calendars
- Finalised Crossroads template
- Job Tracker template (much like the hPDA version)
- “Actions Bookmark”
- Some new project management forms
- Undated Day Keeper template, for those with “non-standard” hours
- A simple “widget kit” built in an Open Source product for creating your own templates (stay tuned for further thoughts on the subject)
- Less ink needed — lighter tones will be used in many cell backgrounds, pending testing on a variety of printers
- Several reference cards, including the new GTD and Covey diagrams
- New cover options
- A dozen or so new (*ahem*) undisclosed templates
- Launch of the DiYwiki, where you can share advice and home-grown templates (email me if you’d like to help with this)
As you can see, most of these changes are evolutionary, not revolutionary, which is why I’m soliciting as many ideas as possible to add a few more options and a bit more spice into the package. Let me know your wishlist, and I promise I’ll examine all your suggestions.
Last week, we hit 300,000 combined downloads so far of versions 1.0, 2.0 and the Hipster PDA Edition, but I’m not kidding myself: it’s only because of your help, because of community feedback, that the ‘Planner kits have been so well received and seem to be meeting the needs of so many people. I’d like that to continue, so please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas. What additions to this package would help you better manage your life, your time, your information? What would you like to see?
(Egad… I sound like a PBS pledge drive, just without the tote bag. Then again…. )
If you’d prefer not to leave a comment, you can always email me instead — my address is at the bottom of the menu at the right.
Update : I’m impressed by the enthusiasm of you folks: several dozen emails and comments in just a few hours! Keep it up! Just one little thing, though: please check to see if your suggestion isn’t already in the list above or in version 2.0 of the D*I*Y Planner, or if it can’t be easily handled by a generic template such as Checklist — I’ve gotten a number of suggestions for things that already exist. Not that I mind such requests, but you may find that your need is already fulfilled.